How should you spend your time off? Are you going solo or taking a family vacation? And if not by yourself, then what are the benefits derived from fun family vacations?
A vacation or holiday is a leave of absence from a regular occupation, or a specific trip or journey, usually for the purpose of recreation or tourism. People often take a vacation during specific holiday observances, or for specific festivals or celebrations. Family vacations are often spent with those we love, relatives and friends (Wikipedia).
However, for centuries, travel for pleasure was simply a wealthy person’s privilege; but now, it has extended its boundaries. Beginning in the 20th century, as average incomes rose and as cars and planes made distances shrink, family vacations or pleasure trips became attainable for people from almost all walks of life.
For many folks, travelling has become an essential part of one’s life. Despite the increased number of visitors at each of the world’s most popular vacation spots, even then, the potential traveler takes time out from their busy routines for an annual trip or biannual even.
Here are the top ten benefits of family vacations (in no particular order):
1. Unrestricted Pleasure:
You’re probably feeling a little burned out, right? What a wonderful reason to take a vacation! According to about.com, one of the key benefits of taking time off work is that you won’t feel all the pressures and discouragement that arise once you begin showing symptoms of a burnout.
The traveler’s main objective is to get a break from their daily environment, to relax and relieve stress, and to have no fixed schedule. There is no doubt that taking family vacations allow you to take advantage of the time you get off from your boring daily routine.
“Workers who take regular time to relax are less likely to experience burnout, making them more creative and productive than their overworked, under-rested counterparts,” according to about.com.
While unsurprising that vacations bring happiness, what is surprising are the institutions that vacations surpass. Americans report that vacations make them happier than their marriages, their religions, weddings, birthdays and even their cats (Expedia Study).
2. Time to Unwind:
Rest-and-relaxation: Going on fun family vacations give you the time to unwind, relax, and make memories that would last forever. It is also said that it enriches the perspective of the traveler.
However, the benefits of having some unstructured time for rest and relaxation are more valuable to some travelers than others. One can appreciate that travelers with children consider the benefits of rest-and-relaxation to be more important than older travelers do.
3. Peace of Mind:
Vacations give you the time to get some peace of mind in this fast-paced world, and this is probably the main objective of the traveler.
Your mission, should you choose to accept: get-away from the hustle and bustle and daily grind of your work schedule for awhile and enjoy a sandy beach on a beautiful tropical island. I promise you that when you come back to work, you’ll have a totally new perspective or outlook on life.
4. Develops Health:
U.S. News and World report spoke to experts who noted that one of the main benefits of vacation time is that it can improve your mental health. Feelings of calm arise and relieve the stress, which allow the body and mind to heal in ways that it couldn’t if it were still under pressure.
Spending quality time with those you love is invigorating. You begin to feel a massive change in the development and growth of your mental and physical health, which would further enhance your vacation experience.
Now, on the other hand, for some, “getting away” not only means venturing to a quiet, calm and secluded retreat, but also letting go of everything.
Total relaxation; working up a sweat is out of the question and dietary indulgences are openly welcomed.
Sure, every once in a while, we all need to break the rules, and enjoying awesome family vacations almost always seem like the perfect time for that.
5. Learning Experience:
The benefits families desire dictates the qualities they look for in a destination. Your family will get the chance to learn new things regarding your travel destination, the history, and the main reason for the fame of that travel destination.
“Kids learn best by doing”, according to Jessica Lopa of Mommy University. “Reading books and looking at pictures is great but nothing beats hands-on experiences to really help a child learn. When on vacation, kids learn through experiences. They see firsthand how different cultures live, they taste food from other lands and they can smell the fresh fruit from a tropical island. These multi-sensory experiences allow kids to gain knowledge in a more meaningful way.”
6. Exploring New Locations:
It’s all about adventure. Cycling around a local island settlement might be just what you need to break away from your usual hobby and discover something different. Most people go on a vacation just for the sake of exploring new boundaries (learning-and-discovery). They get the chance to discover an entirely different location with no schedule whatsoever.
Travelers look forward to seeing or doing something new and different, learning about history or other cultures and places, enriching their perspective on life, and stimulating their intellect.
You never know where inspiration will come from, but it surely won’t be found while you’re engaged in the same environment and seeing the same faces for years without a vacation.
7. Stress Reliever:
You deserve some downtime, right? Whether at home or work, family vacations provide a break from your daily routine, environment, and geographical location, which is good for the soul. And while travelling is a great way to overcome the cruel world of stress, be mindful that not taking a vacation can upset your physical and mental health.
Sure, stress can help people get work done under pressure, but experts have noted that 80% of workers are stressed on the job, and 70% of their trips to a healthcare provider are because of stress-related conditions. But studies have shown that taking family vacations help keep good health intact and prevents burnout.
8. Nurturing Family Ties:
Another benefit involves nurturing family and friendship ties (and in case you forgot, your children love family trip bonding). In this instance, a major objective of the trip is to keep family ties alive, to enrich the traveler’s relationship with their spouse and children, to create lasting memories, and even perhaps to renew personal connections with people other than family.
“Shared family memories and time spent together isolated from ordinary everyday activities (school, work and so on) help to promote these positive ties,” Psychology expert Susan Krauss Whitbourne wrote. “Though family vacations can have their own share of stress, the benefits outweigh the risks, even in families that are not particularly close.”
9. Recreational Activities:
Travelers look forward to other recreational activities when they plan their annual family vacations. For instance, swimming with dolphins, beach-combing, jet skiing, safari tours, and so much more. You can choose the activity that you like. Most of the activities offered by the most famous travel destinations are a once in a life time opportunity.
You might even consider a road trip while on your tropical island getaway. You can play fun games, bring along books and activities, stop at cool places and check out the amazing scenery.
10. Exploring Cultures:
Don’t just travel, explore! One of the best parts of going for a vacation is that you get the occasion to explore different cultures of the place that you are visiting.
I challenge you to get beyond the tourist facade of the countries you visit and enjoy a cultural holiday. Focus on the local culture, past and present, and discover the lifeblood of any country – its people.
There’s no better way to get to the true heart of a country than through its people.
So, Are You Ready to Create Lasting Memories?
For some travelers, planning a vacation is more fun than the actual vacation (it’s true). It gives you something to look forward to and makes getting through your boring daily routine easier to handle!
Watching specials on the travel channel, perusing travel books and conversing with friends who have been to your island destination before will surely heighten your excitement and anticipation. Also, remember that you can improve the family bond by letting the kids help with the planning process. Now, where should you visit?
Reasons to visit The Bahamas:
- Beaches: The Bahamas is known for its stellar beaches. With over 2,000 breathtaking islands and cays, and the clearest water on Earth, it’s no wonder visitors come from all around to sink their toes into miles of pure white, and in some places pink, sand. Many of our beaches have been voted “best in the world” by numerous publications, and it’s not uncommon to find a celebrity or two strolling along our shores. In short, the beaches you’ll find here are the very definition of paradise.
- Boating: There is no finer journey than the one that leads you to paradise. The fish are more colorful, the coral reefs are brighter and the water clearer. Since the moment Christopher Columbus came ashore in the New World, The Bahamas have been a magnet for sea vessels. Everyone from Blackbeard to Ernest Hemingway has made the voyage. Whether you’re planning a quick getaway to The Bimini Islands or a weeklong voyage to Nassau/Paradise Island, the waters of The Bahamas are waiting for you.
- Diving: The Islands of The Bahamas offer an array of dive experiences like no other destination in the world. You’ll find sunken Spanish galleons, inland blue holes, underwater caves and forest-like coral reefs teeming with vibrant marine life. You can even feed and swim with reef sharks—an experience sure to get your adrenaline pumping.
- Ecotourism: When it comes to exploring nature, The Bahamas has plenty to offer. We play host to some of the most intriguing, exotic and mysterious natural phenomena on the planet. Here you’ll find the world’s deepest blue hole, the third-largest fringing barrier reef in the world, miles of pink-sand beaches, the world’s largest colony of pink flamingos, the endangered Bahama Parrot, the unusual Andros iguana, a wild horse preserve and countless nature preserves.
- Family Fun: The Bahamas is a perfect playground for kids of all ages and authentic family vacations. Throw on a saddle and trot up and down our pristine shores on horseback. Get down and dirty with a little sand volleyball. Go bowling at one of our many resorts. Or simply build a sand castle on the beach. Kids can even attend Kids Camp, where they’ll find a replica of a famous sunken Spanish galleon. Whatever piques their interest, know that you can find fun for the whole family in The Bahamas.
- Fishing: Whether you’re a first-timer casting a line from a pier or a deep-sea fanatic eager to beat one of the 50 world fishing records set in The Bahamas, you’ll find all types of fishing here. The waters of The Bahamas are full of prize fish. And our licensed guides know exactly where to find them. Wade through the many saltwater flats or ‘marls’ for some bonefish, one of the prolific species to be found in our waters. Or, charter a boat and troll the deep seas for a prized marlin. Our islands play host to so many exotic fish that there’s sure to be fewer stories about the one that got away. Local guides have been trained to provide a safe and customer friendly angling experience, based on globally accepted sustainable principles. To download our Fishing Map & Angler’s Guide please click here
- Honeymoons: Marriage is an adventure. Your honeymoon should set the pace. Honeymoons in The Bahamas offer couples experiences found nowhere else in the world. And with 700 tropical islands to explore, you don’t have to stay in one place. Spend one day on a remote island, the next in a bustling metropolis. However you decide to escape, there’s no doubt your honeymoon will be just as memorable as your wedding day. Click here for the Islands of the Bahamas honeymoon registry. Create a Bahamas “wish list” where friends and family can buy pieces of your perfect honeymoon as your wedding gift.
- Pampering: Bahamians believe in taking it easy. Moving at your own pace. So it’s only fitting that one of the most relaxing places in the world offers treatments to help rejuvenate your mind, body and soul. You’ll find numerous indoor and outdoor spas in The Bahamas that offer facial and deep tissue massages, scrubs and soothing herbal baths for individuals and couples. There are also wellness activities, like Pilates and yoga, to help you unwind too. In short, it’s easy to let go of yourself and leave your worries behind in The Bahamas.
- Private Flying: Nearly every day, our weather is as clear as our water. The cumulus clouds dot the sky at around 2,500 feet in the morning, rising to 7,500 feet in the afternoon. These are the perfect conditions for flying. Wherever you’re headed, just about every vacation spot on The Islands of The Bahamas has an airport where you can safely land. Plan a trip. File a flight plan. Take off, touch down, refuel your soul!
- Romantic Getaways: From breathtaking panoramic views to soft white- and pink-sand beaches to spectacular sunsets and exotic hideaways, The Bahamas is proud to say that each and every one of our islands is the perfect destination for a romantic escape. Need to relax? Stumble across a secluded beach where the only footprints you’ll see are your own. Looking for adventure? Take a swim with dolphins in the warm waters of the Atlantic. Weddings, honeymoons, anniversaries, engagements—whatever your milestone, celebrate in paradise.
- Shopping: Shopping in The Bahamas is a unique experience. Throughout our islands, shoppers will find a variety of jewelry, local crafts and other authentic Bahamian items. From stylish boutiques to open-air markets to straw vendors and even large retail centers, The Bahamas offers a plethora of unique products that reflect our heritage, creativity and passion.
- Sightseeing: We’re very proud of our beautiful islands. They play host to a variety of attractions, both natural and man-made, that offer a glimpse into our rich culture. We invite you to tour as many islands as possible to get the full Bahamian experience. Not sure where to start? No worries. All our sightseeing tours are both educational and exciting. You can explore natural caves, walk through town and learn about historical landmarks and even island hop. Or, if you’d prefer to ride, we also offer jeep, scooter and biking tours. However you decide to explore our islands, there’s a professional Bahamian tour guide waiting to show you around. So go ahead. Discover what makes The Bahamas so unique during your fun family vacations.
- Sports: Whatever sport you’re into, you can do it here: basketball, bowling, cricket, football, golfing, gymnastics, racing, rugby, soccer, softball, squash, tennis, track & field and volleyball to name just a few. Throughout The Bahamas, it’s easy to find a friendly game to join. And we always welcome a good match.
- Water Sports: One thing we have plenty of is crystal-blue water. And, yes, it feels just as amazing as it looks. Averaging 80°F year-round, it’s perfect for any type of water sport. The options abound to enhance your family vacations. Whether it’s kayaking, canoeing, jet skiing, kite-boarding, snorkeling, parasailing or even swimming excursions with wild dolphins, you’ll find it in The Bahamas.
- Weddings: The Bahamas was recently declared “World’s Leading Wedding Destination 2015” at the 22nd World Travel Awards™. Click here for more information. Your perfect day should take place in the perfect setting ‒ sapphire-blue skies, turquoise water, pure white- and pink-sand beaches. With more than 700 cays, reefs, beaches, parks, botanical gardens, churches and other locations, there are endless ways to declare your love for one another when planning a destination wedding in The Bahamas.
Summary: Fun Family Vacations
Undoubtedly, families plan their annual getaways, vacation or pleasure trips in the expectation of deriving certain benefits from their experience. Getting away from their daily routine is a highly important benefit for most adult travelers, while others submit that maintaining social and family ties is of primary importance to them. And then there are those who regard discovering something new about the world or themselves as a key objective for going on a fun vacation or pleasure trip.
There is a moderate positive correlation between the travel benefits of rest-and-relaxation and those of family-and-friendship ties; that is, people seeking to escape their everyday routines are also likely to be looking for ways to strengthen their social relationships. In this pair of benefits, though, R&R always has priority (Susan Crompton & Leslie-Anne Keown – senior analysts with Canadian Social Trends).
Funntripps is encouraging travelers to take that much-needed family vacation. Need help in deciding which Caribbean Island to choose. Discover how by clicking here. Fun family vacations are a marvelous stream of experience as you seek to live the maximized life. As such, have you ever wondered why certain hotels and resorts rate so highly with parents on TripAdvisor? Here are some common themes they all share.
Questions: What’s your most memorable family vacation? What amenities do you enjoy most when on vacation? We look forward to you sharing your thoughts in the comments section below.